At Harmony Dental Group, we believe that preventive dentistry is essential to lasting oral health. We offer comprehensive dental exams, cleanings, and x-rays to help all of our patients maintain their healthy smiles and prevent the development of dental problems.
When you combine our preventive dental services with healthy eating and a diligent home care routine, you can avoid potentially serious and costly dental problems. That’s the key to protecting your confident, beautiful smile for years to come.
Dental Exams And Cleanings
Examinations include five steps to check for signs or symptoms of dental concerns:
- X-rays detect decay, tumors, cysts, bone loss, and tooth and root positions
- Oral cancer screening evaluates the entire oral area for signs of cancer
- Gum disease evaluation assesses the gums and bone around the teeth
- Examination of tooth surfaces checks for decay, the condition of fillings and crowns, and overall condition of the teeth
If your examination reveals no issues with gum disease, a dental cleaning, also called a dental prophylaxis, is performed to do the following:
- Remove plaque, the sticky substance that causes gum inflammation and decay
- Remove tartar, the hardened plaque that can lead to periodontal (gum) disease
- Polish the teeth to remove stains
It’s essential to visit your dentist at least every six months for an exam and cleaning to catch potentially serious problems before they become difficult to resolve.
X-rays are one of the most important tools your dentist uses to learn about the condition of your teeth. Harmony Dental Group uses digital x-rays in order to limit the level of radiation involved in the x-ray process, helping patients feel more comfortable.
You won’t need to have x-rays taken at every dental appointment. Your dentist will recommend x-rays as necessary, based upon factors such as your age, risk of disease, and dental history.