Dental Bridges in La Jolla, CA
Missing teeth can affect your entire smile, bite alignment, diet, and self-confidence. Fixed dental bridges are an excellent way to replace missing teeth and restore normal oral function to your smile.
Bridges offer both functional as well as aesthetic benefits, as they complete your smile so that it looks whole and healthy again. At Harmony Dental Group, we curate each bridge to match your surrounding smile, so no one will need to know you have a missing tooth.
It’s time to smile again
Get your smile back
To find out if a custom dental bridge is a right choice for restoring your smile, schedule a consultation in La Jolla today!
What Is A Dental Bridge?
Dental bridges are a fixed type of restoration that fills in an open space created by a missing tooth. Either end of the bridge goes over a healthy tooth or dental implant on either side of your missing tooth to suspend an artificial crown across the gap in your smile. The ends of the bridge act like functional crowns, with the artificial pontic tooth bonded between them.
In most cases, we recommend bridges to replace one or two teeth at a time, so long as there are stable teeth on either side to support them. In the case of an implant-supported bridge, as many as 3-4 teeth can be replaced at once (omitting the need for partial dentures.)
Why Would You Need A Dental Bridge?
- You have one or two missing teeth
- A fixed alternative to partial dentures
- Improved aesthetics
- Ability to eat, smile, and speak normally
- Prevent shifting or movement in your remaining teeth
- Adds reinforcement to the supporting teeth if crowns are needed
For your Free Consultation on options to replace your missing teeth, or for answers to your questions about a dental bridge, contact us today!
Types of Dental Bridges in La Jolla
There are typically three bridge designs to choose from, depending on your preferences and oral health needs:
- Traditional Bridges: These fixed restorations are the most common type of bridge design that we offer. Either side is attached to a stable, healthy tooth, suspending one or two pontic teeth between them.
- Cantilever Bridges: When there is not a healthy tooth on both sides of the missing tooth, a cantilever bridge offers a single tooth-supported alternative. These artificial teeth are attached to the side of a functional dental crown, which is then set on top of the surviving adjacent tooth.
- Maryland Bridges: A Maryland bridge is a replacement crown with small extensions that span out on either side of it. These “wings” are bonded behind the neighboring teeth, rather than reducing the shape of those teeth to cover them with a crown. Maryland bridges work well for front missing teeth, children, or temporary purposes before dental implant treatment.
- Implant Bridges: An implant-supported dental bridge can replace multiple teeth at one time, as either end of the bridge is set on top of a dental implant. Up to four teeth in a row can be restored using only two dental implants.
Materials Used to Make Dental Bridges
La Jolla dental bridges can be crafted from a variety of durable, high-quality materials. Depending on the location of your bridge and its visibility, we may recommend one of the following designs:
- Porcelain: Ceramics, zirconia, and other porcelains offer fully tooth-colored bridges that are both attractive and durable enough for everyday use.
- Porcelain Fused to Metal: These bridges have a metal base that is covered by tooth-colored porcelain. They combine the aesthetics of custom color designs with the durability of metal.
- Metal Bridges: Known for their durability, metal bridges offer added integrity in areas where heavy biting pressure occurs (such as upper back teeth.)
Want to learn more about dental bridges and whether you are a good candidate? Schedule your Free Consultation today!
The Process of Getting a Dental Bridge
Most of our La Jolla dental bridge treatments require two visits to complete. Except in the case of implant-supported bridges, where additional implant installation is also required.
Traditional dental bridges require a two-step treatment process. At the first visit, our La Jolla dentist will numb and prep the supporting teeth to allow for a fixed restoration to fit over them comfortably. Then we will take impressions and record a shade match for our lab. We’ll fit you with a temporary crown over the prepped teeth to reduce any sensitivity or irritation while your permanent bridge is being created. About two weeks later, you’ll return to Harmony Dental Group to have your permanent bridge cemented into place. Your bonded bridge is non-removable.
Our experienced dental team offers affordable and personalized dental bridge options in La Jolla that can restore the function and appearance of your teeth.
Recovery After Dental Bridge Treatment
Getting a dental bridge is a routine dental procedure, but some minor irritation in the days after your appointment isn’t uncommon. Usually, the supporting teeth are sightly sensitive because of the tooth structure being adjusted, causing the nerves to be more tender than normal. This irritation typically improves within a few days or no more than a couple of weeks. Minor soreness at injection sites or from having your mouth open is also to be expected. We recommend taking Motrin and applying a cool compress to relieve any temporary irritation.
Caring for Your New Bridge
Although your bridge will not decay, bacteria can still accumulate around the margins of your restoration and affect your supporting teeth. To ensure your bridge lasts as long as possible, it’s important to:
- Brush around your bridge twice a day
- Floss around and under your bridge daily (or use a water flosser)
- Plan routine dental visits every six months
- Avoid biting on hard or extremely sticky foods
How Much Do Dental Bridges Cost?
Dental bridges are an affordable tooth replacement option. The price of a dental bridge in La Jolla depends on several factors, including the type of materials used, the number of teeth affected, whether implants are involved, and if you’re using any insurance benefits. On average, most bridges range between $500-$1500 per tooth. At Harmony Dental Group, we provide each patient with a detailed treatment plan outlining all fees and estimated benefits so that you know what to expect before scheduling the treatment.
La Jolla Dental Bridges
It’s never too late to replace your missing tooth. Getting a dental bridge helps prevent embarrassment, difficulty eating, and shifts in alignment throughout the rest of your smile. Our La Jolla dentist offers custom treatment plans that fit your health and lifestyle needs. Call Harmony Dental Group today to request your next dental bridge consultation.
Questions Answered on This Page
- What Is A Dental Bridge?
- Why Would You Need A Dental Bridge?
- Types of Dental Bridges
- Materials Used to Make Dental Bridges
- The Process of Getting a Dental Bridge
- Recovery After Dental Bridge Treatment
- Caring for Your New Bridge
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. Cosmetic dental bridges replace missing teeth and are designed to match the teeth on either side.
Like crowns, a well-cared-for dental bridge can last 5-15 years in most cases. Good oral hygiene is essential!
Definition of common dental fillings terminology
Dental restorations: Restorative dentistry focuses on repairing or replacing damaged or missing teeth.
Dental Implants: A dental implant is a small post, usually made of titanium, that serves as a substitute for the root of the tooth.
Dental Crown: A dental crown is a restoration that replaces the top part of the tooth.
Partial Dentures: A partial denture is a artificial replacement teeth that restore a one or few missing teeth in a person’s mouth.
The Harmony Dental Group Experience
- Highest Level of Dental Care
- Friendly and Caring Staff
- Affordable Financing Options
- Personalized Dental Services
Hear From Our Patients
Book Your Free Consultation Today
The first step to a healthy mouth and the smile of your dreams
About our Dentistry
- CA (License #12035). View License Information
- Insurance: We work with most insurance providers including all PPO’s and Medicare
- No Insurance? No problem call (858) 550-8000 for more information
- Financing Options: We offer a wide range of dental financing options
- We serve patients from the following counties: San Diego
- We serve patients from the following cities: La Jolla, Pacific Beach, Del Mar, San Diego, University City and Clairmont
- Have Questions? Please feel free to contact us at (858) 550-8000